The Conference Oct. 14-16

We have just finished the annual District Conference, this year at Chester. What a neat city. The conference venue was at the Chester racecourse which I understand is the longest running racecourse in England -  grass track of 9 furlongs called "the roodie" because of the very old stone rood in the centre area. I walked the 9 furlongs as well as part of the city wall, a stone fortress wall which encircle the city centre, built by the Normans or Romans or someone long ago.
   It was a fantastic weekend with many great speakers including ourselves (GSE Distict 5550) - we did very well I thought and so did a lot of others judging by the comments I received.
  There was a representative from RI, Alistair Davies and another from RIBI, Gordon McInally who both gave A1 speeches of welcome - funny and inspiring. You don't really know what you will get from these reps but these 2 were fantastic. I loved Gordon's Scottish accent too.
    It was exciting to hearTom Henderson, the founder of Shelterbox. I got to meet him and I shook his hand for Gailmarie Anderson as she had asked me too. I included her words of thanks "for his enduring inspiration and gift of hope for humanity through his creative invention of the shelterbox" in my speech.  The DG (Barry Preen and the aforemention reps of RI and RIBI slept in a shelterbox tent on the racecourse on Friday night, raising £450. This was topped up by the DGE to buy one shelter box.
    Friday night I attended the Rotary dinner with many of my new friends from the Wellington Club whom I have dubbed "the wellies" (This is the DG's club too). Who did I happen to be seated beside? Well she asked me if I came from anywhere near Nee-pa-wa. I said yes and that she must know Pat and Ivan Traill very good friends of mine. Her name was Norma Friar and saw Pat at the Inner Wheel mtg in Manchester a few days earlier. What a coincidence. Also the Sgt at Arms was a policeman who had been stationed at Mablethorpe, Lincs about the same time I was teaching at Alford, Lincs. He knew Roger Reeve, the bobbie we had taken a picture of 42 years ago and then remet 5 years ago.
   The Saturday night black tie affair was just that - everyone in their finery, Brennan and I in our suits and Jody, Alicia and Shaunna in wonderful new black frocks. We made an impressive group. And do these Rotarians know how to dance - hardly a spot on the dancefloor all night.
    We had met the outgoing GSE Team, which will come to Canada in May-June, for lunch earlier.  They are a great bunch and should provide enjoyment for Districtt 5550 when we host them. So Clubs get in you requests to be a host.
   Sunday Am I expected to be a simple windup but they saved some of the Best for Last as we were treated to some fine speakers once again. Specifically Heny Olonga who was the first black cricketer to play for the national side of Zimbabwe. Besides being an excellent and humourous speaker he is a very accomplished tenor and received a standing ovation which brought on an encore. He sang "Raise Me Up" and a compositio of his own "Rise Again"
   Tina Coetzer, a Youth Exchange student from 1995 gave an excellent presentation too.
  I have made many new friends over the past 2 weeks and it was wonderful to see a lot of them there. They have all been so kind and welcoming to us all.
  I could write a lot more but my back and fingers are giving out so I will just say,
  Thank You for a terrific weekend. Leader Dave.

 

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave,

It was a really good Conference - and the Saturday morning was enhanced by the D 5550 team's presentation. Well done to all of you.

And thank you for being such a great group of people - you were there whenever we needed you at Conference, but were able to 'do your own thing' for part of the time, which hopefully has helped you guys to relax a little.

As you say we saved the best til last - Henry Olonga was awesome and his rendition of Nessun Dorma was just magnificent. I guess some of his cricketing jokes caused you guys some puzzlement but a very easy going lovely man, who is also very brave.

John Sayer
District 1210 GSE Chairman

Anonymous said...

Great to meet you all. I've put some pictures of you guys and the d1210 GSE team on the Rotary Club of Rugeley's facebook page if you want to take a look. Happy to email any you want as full jpegs. http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Rugeley-Rotary/169046843157717

If the link doesn't work, go onto facebook and just search rugeley rotary.

Lorraine
d1210 GSE team leader

Post a Comment