Attingham Estate

Good afternoon folks, Brennan checking in.  We've made it into Shrewsbury and have divided up to our host families!  My hosts were gracious enough to take me on a tour of the National Trust's Attingham Estate today just outside of Shrewsbury.  The walled garden there was quite the sight and the restoration of the estate seems to be going quite well!  The trees on the grounds were quite amazing.  The sculptures from the House of Beasts collection were a tad odd though...they often mixed human and animal together in a strange way.  I thought they might have reflected the madness of King George III (who had many paintings/portraits in the estate), but I may be drawing embellished conclusions.



They didn't allow pictures of the inner estate, but the rooms that had been restored were magnificent.  My hosts were very knowledgeable about the estate and the grounds, and gave plenty of insight into what to do with my future garden!

There were many small shops setup inside the walled garden area, and I picked up my first trinket.  A metal sign for the entrance of my new house back home:


Quite fitting!  I believe it will suit my house rather finely.

We took a short jaunt up and through Much Wenlock due to me recognizing a name there (more on that later in the week when we go to Much Wenlock as a group) and then back home again.  Do see the gallery of other photos if it so pleases you.

Not a bad start at all!  All the best,

Brennan

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment